(Head: Antonella Lo Nostro)
Focussed mainly on prevention and control of infective diseases, both within hospitals and the community at large, activities include:
- Assay of resistance antibiotic of pathogens
- Search of Legionella spp. in environmental matrices (water, biofilm, air, soil)
- Antibacterial activity of essential oils
- Microbial prevalence studies in food
- Studies on microbiology quality of food for large scale catering
- Isolation and phenotypical studies of microorganisms such as: Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella spp., E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Enterococcus spp., Campylobacter spp., Vibrio spp., Clostridium perfringens, Pseudomonas spp.
- Studies on bacterial protein production
Third party research
The laboratory has been carrying out since many years third party research for public and private subjects on:
Legionella spp (identification of species and serum group) in hospitals, hospitality structures (hotels, spas, etc.) and workplaces
- Evaluation of antibacterial activity in different substances
- Sterility control in health environments and medical and surgical aids
- Search for pathogens and non pathogenic microorganisms in different matrices (food, surfaces, air, water) and from clinical samples
- Challenge test on cosmetics, foods, etc.
All analyses are carried out according to ISO UNI EN law and regulations.